Hey guys! I’m answering today’s Thoughtful Thursday prompts from All the Weigh. Feel free to copy and paste, fill in your answers, and then link up via Kenlie’s site.
Where I Live
1. Where do you currently live? I live in a little suburb of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley called Reseda.
2. Have you lived in your current state throughout your entire life? Nope. I was born in Illinois, then lived in Florida, and then moved to California.
3. If you answered no to Question 1, then where else have you lived? Oops, I jumped the gun!
4. What is the coolest thing about your city/town? Reseda is a little bit of a shady town. It’s a little bit more low-income and has lots of strip malls. While it has a certain grit and roughness to it, the community of people who live in Reseda really do work hard to make it feel like a community and watch out for eachother. I think that’s cool.
5. Are there any holidays that your state goes all out to celebrate? If so, tell us about it. Hmm. Not really, though I feel like SoCal gets a lot of love as the “Hollywood” and movie state.
6. Describe your neighborhood (climate, scenery, etc.) My neighborhood is very suburban. It has a wide street with lots of houses of all different shapes and sizes, built in the 1950s.
7. What do you wish you could change most about the place you live? I wish the city was better maintained. We’ve had some problems with crime, and I feel like if everyone chipped in to keep things maintained a little better (ie, pick up your trash, a street is not a dumpster), then maybe things would get better.
8. Describe your home. What’s your favorite thing about it? I live in a two bedroom, 1 bath, classic 1950s bungalow. It’s just shy of 900 square feet, but the owners renovated it to have a more open feel with a nice open concept kitchen and lots of cabinets. My favorite things are: the kitchen, which is nice and big, perfect for a couple that loves to cook, and the GINORMOUS backyard. We have a 9,000 square foot lot, which is hilarious because the house isn’t even 900 square feet.
9. Where do you shop for groceries? I get groceries from a few places. Costco for bulk items like eggs, chicken breasts, blueberries, and olive oil. Ralph’s for meat and vegetables. Jons, which is an ethnic market, for every day type things. I walk there often.
10.. What is your favorite regular activity in your city/town? We have some really good food. As a very diverse city, we have a melting pot of great Thai food, Greek food, Armenian food, Japanese food… you name it, we have it!
Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments! Happy Thursday!
1. Where do you currently live? I live in a small town, Porterville California. It is nestled in the heart of the Central Valley.
2. Have you lived in your current state throughout your entire life? I’m proud to say no. 🙂
3. If you answered no to Question 1, then where else have you lived? I lived in Seattle Washington for 2 years while attending graduate school.
4. What is the coolest thing about your city/town? We are farming community that thrives on agriculture. Often times I don’t have to buy some of my produce like lemons, oranges, grapefruit and grapes. It’s a great blessing.
5. Are there any holidays that your state goes all out to celebrate? If so, tell us about it. My state? I don’t think we have a holiday we all go out for. I’d say it depends on the location in which you live. In Porterville there is not specific holiday we all go out for…although 4th of July is pretty nice.
6. Describe your neighborhood (climate, scenery, etc.) I live in the middle of town, towards the nicer part. My neighborhood is partially old *my house was built in 1939* and newer development. I have some older folks as neighbors and young families. The neighborhood consist of hard working folks who leave the house early in the morning.
7. What do you wish you could change most about the place you live? I wish this town had more than 2 of every fast food joint you could think of. I’d love to see bookstores, family friendly entertainment, museums, and mom and pop shops.
8. Describe your home. What’s your favorite thing about it? I live in a 3 bedroom home that originally only came with 2 bedrooms. The closest are tiny and we do not have AC which is difficult in the mid summer heat. The living room is cozy and the kitchen is a healthy size. The backyard is large and only green during this time of year when the weeds grow wild. My favorite part has to be side patio. It has a lot of potential and it is where we bbq. My goal is make it a bit nicer to enjoy in the spring.
9. Where do you shop for groceries? I try to get the bulk items from costco or smart and final. I shop at the mom and pop grocery store most of the time for our every day items. I have really started to enjoy getting our meat from the local butcher. Sometimes I stop at Vons in another town on my way home from work or hit WinCo.
10.. What is your favorite regular activity in your city/town? I’m still trying to reconnect with this town. One of my favorite things is walking Louis Hill in the evening during spring and summer. It’s a large hill that many people walk for exercise. My other favorite thing that I can appreciate more than before is the small homie feeling I get from this town. I love that the guy at the corner market recognizes my face, even if he doesn’t know my name.